Thursday, January 10, 2013

Homeschool Methods

Homeschooling Methods

We love Montessori. My Children have attended school in a wonderful Montessori School for the last three years. I have experience teaching in a Montessori classroom. Montessori Seems like a good method to use in our homeschool right? Wrong! The truth is that our home is simply not set up for a Montessori schooling environment. My children are working at very different levels right now. Rapunzel is working on K-2 grade work and McQueen is still working on preschool level work. I would not be able to provide the Montessori environment, manipulative and curriculum for them to thrive in.

After many hours of research, I have decided that I will start off using a combination of Charlotte Mason and Classical methods. I choose to utilize the Charlotte Mason approach because its goal is to install a lifetime love of learning and a curiosity about life in it students. Charlotte Mason used nature study, literature, copy work and the study of fine arts to teach children. This philosophy resonates with me because my main goal for my children is that they love learning. I believe if they love learning, everything else will fall into place.

I also would like to incorporate the classical method into my teaching approach. The classical approach to homeshooling is based on a trivium of grammar, logic, and rhetoric in its teachings. This method of schooling developed critical thinking in its students. The goal of this method is to teach the student how to think for themselves. I think my children would benefit from this approach because I want them to be able to think for themselves and question everything.

There are many different methods to choose from. What may work for my family may not work for yours.
To get more information about the various homeschool method's, please visit the links below:

Under the Golden Apple Tree
AVKO
Homeschool.com